1. Autos

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Keith Griffin

Top 10 Stolen Used Cars in the U.S.

By July 14, 2008

Look in your driveway. If you own one of the following vehicles, they may not be there when you wake up in the morning. Donít mean to alarm you, but this list from the National Insurance Crime Bureau lists these vehicles as the most popular stolen vehicles in 2007.

I used to own a 1995 Honda Civic. Glad I was able to sell it before it caught the eye of a car thief.

Top 10 Stolen Vehicles in 2007

1. 1995 Honda Civic
  2. 1991 Honda Accord
  3. 1989 Toyota Camry
  4. 1997 Ford F-150 Series Pickup
  5. 1994 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Pickup
  6. 1994 Acura Integra
  7. 2004 Dodge Ram Pickup
  8. 1994 Nissan Sentra
  9. 1988 Toyota Pickup
  10. 2007 Toyota Corolla

Whatís most surprising about the list is two vehicles less than five years old are included. In fact, the number 10 vehicle, the Toyota Corolla has the distinction of being the only vehicle to crack the Top 10 in the same year it was introduced.

Lock up your Hondas and Toyotas before you go to bed tonight.

The 1995 Honda Civic Sedan is the most stolen used vehicle in America, according to the National Insurance Crime Bureau. Photo © Honda

Comments
July 17, 2008 at 10:22 am
(1) Dave Morgan says:

I think the concern about locking your Civic is a bit displaced. The most stolen cars are also the most common cars, to some extent. A more meaningful measure of risk would be the fraction of exisitng cars of a certain model that are stolen each year. Then I think you would see the Beemers and Lexi near the top of the list, particularly those new enough to be useful for parts.

July 21, 2008 at 9:51 pm
(2) B Bellows says:

The four cars in the top 6 spots also happen to be the cars favored by the tuner and street racing group. They are plentiful, cheap to build high hp. racers that when they go by, you wouldn’t even recognize it as being your stolen car.

July 22, 2008 at 9:17 am
(3) Used Cars Guide says:

Dave – It’s still the older cars that are popular with thieves and chop shops because people don’t want to pay as much to maintain their cars. So, they’ll take the hot cars. You raise a valid point, though, about thefts as percentage.
B Bellow – I never even thought about your point. Excellent observation!
Keith
Your Guide to Used Cars

August 31, 2008 at 10:23 pm
(4) name says:

Hello!,

September 1, 2008 at 12:25 am
(5) name says:

Good day!,

September 25, 2008 at 12:48 am
(6) Honda Civic Gal says:

Most Common Cars? I rarely see a 1995 Honda Civic around here…maybe that’s why they’re stolen. Remember, the older a car gets the more rarer they become. They break down, get junked, wrecked, etc. My car is a rarety and I do keep it locked up. It’s a beautiful car and I get compliments on it all the time. And I’m not a “ricer” or a “tuner” or what not. I just have it restored to it’s original like-new condition and take great care of it because it is such a rarety.

April 15, 2009 at 12:18 am
(7) Eye Enjoy says:

The thing about this list is that if someone were to steal a car they’d be damn sure it would start. Of course, Japanese autos are the most reliable so it’s more likely to start when a theif steals it. Domestics break down too quick so of course no one would want to steal them. They also guzzle down gas like the flush of the toilet which is also a turn-off for thieves. They need to get far with whatever amount of gas they have in the vehicle when stolen. I’m an officer of the law here in California and what I’ve said is true. I see this kind of thing everyday at work.

If I were a thief, I wouldn’t try to steal something along the lines of a Chevy Malibu or GMC Sierra or even a Dodge Neon(all domestics). I’ve once owned these vehicles and even with me keeping up with tune-ups the transmission and pistons went bad after 3 years of owning them. I fixed them and sold them as fast as I could. Before those horrible cars came into my life I had(and still have) a 1994 Honda Civic EX coupe which I’ve also kept tune-ups with and I can run it to the ground without it dying on me. No problems at all. I bought it new off the lot in 1994 and the only major things I had to repair were the starter and alternator and that was barely during the middle of 2005. It is also great on gas mileage as well.

On a side note, the picture is of a 1996 Civic and not a 1995. Honda changed the body styling in 1996.