While in the midst of shopping for a new laptop, I came across this list of best used convertibles to buy from ConsumerReports.org. According to Consumer Reports, "These sporty cars have performed well in our road tests, have average or better reliability, and have performed adequately if included in crash tests."
I have maybe two concerns with the list. See my comments after some of the bulleted entries.
- 2006-2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata (after 2006 had standard ABS) $14,000-$18,000 - After its redesign in 2006, it became a car people more than 5'10" can actually ride in.
- 2000-2007 Honda S2000 $8,000-$24,000 - Scratch this from your list if you are above average height and carry any extra girth.
- 2003-2007-Lexus SC $20,000-over $30,000 - Still my favorite convertible. I like its combination of sportiness and elegance.
- 2000-2007 Toyota Camry Solara $4,000-$14,000 - Ugh, one of my least favorite convertibles of all time. It's heavy, clunky to drive, and just not very good looking.
- 2000-2006 BMW Z3, Z4 $8,000-$20,000 - A great, zippy little two seater.
- 2004, 2006, 2008 Nissan 350Z $12,000-$30,000 - I have no experience with this car, hence no comment. It must be reliable if it's on the Consumer Reports list.
- 2000-2002, 2007-2008 Ford Mustang (V6) $4,000-$6,000, $14,000-$16,000 - Call this my second favorite convertible of all time. I could have a perpetual smile on my face with a Mustang ragtop in the driveway.
- 2001, 2005 Porsche 911 $20,000-$24,000, $30,000 and up - What's not to like, especially if it's reliable?
Share your thoughts. What is your favorite used convertible? Comment below.