1. Autos

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Keith Griffin

Best Days To Buy a Used Car

By December 9, 2009

There is a report out from TrueCar.com about the best days of the year for buying new cars. However, if you're in the market for a used car and you're buying it from a new car dealer, this info will help you determine the best days to buy a used car. You better act fast because six of the days happen before the end of the year.

These are the days and the correlating expected new car discount. (I see no reason you can't expect the same discount for used cars because those sales reps face the same pressures as new car sellers.)

• Dec. 24 7.25%
  • Dec. 21 7.13%
  • Dec. 31 7.04%
  • Dec. 28 6.90%
  • Dec. 14 6.86%
  • Dec. 16 6.74%

By the way, you have to factor in these discounts when negotiating your price. Take prices available from Edmunds.com and KBB.com and then subtract 7% to come up with a price you are willing to pay. Trust me - dealers want to close the books on 2009 with sales.

Comments
December 13, 2009 at 5:28 am
(1) masini says:

you don t post coments on cristhmas

December 14, 2009 at 12:13 am
(2) Ford Trucks says:

but Best Days To Buy a Used Car are the cristhmas days

December 14, 2009 at 4:05 pm
(3) Indiana Bob says:

Don’t know if you can extrapolate from new cars to used cars; many new carmakers have end of the year backend/volume incentives that they are working to hit.

Also, used cars have better margins than new cars from what dealers tell me so.

From many years of sales (non-auto) I know that you can always get a better deal if you work on it.

As far as cars go, I have gotten my best car deals on the first snowy day of the year (but make sure you know what you want)!

December 15, 2009 at 3:33 pm
(4) jb says:

I agree that the best days are end of year. I go to a dealer and find the used car I want and drive it to the next dealer who has a similar car and back and forth. I then declare my best offer to the one I prefer and that if they don’t take it the one down the street will. This works every time and they complain I got a “skinny” deal only because its the end of the year. They know I’m a serious buyer because of the car trick and I pay cash after they fix the “will do” list. Oh what fun it is to get back for all the people that have been taken.

December 16, 2009 at 7:30 am
(5) Car Checks says:

Great article, if you buy while in the UK get it checked out. For 4 you can find out if its stolen, recoverd, a write-off, uninsurable etc – well worth it

December 30, 2009 at 8:37 am
(6) casapariurilor says:

Well worth the read. Thanks for sharing this information. I got a chance to know about this.

February 25, 2010 at 7:50 am
(7) Ford Heavy Trucks says:

I missed the season. But I must agree that agree that You have done deep research on Used car market.

March 9, 2010 at 2:02 am
(8) Dump trucks says:

I must agree with the author. The way he made observation of auto market is really appreciable.

December 6, 2010 at 5:25 am
(9) free car check says:

Well, it’s nearly christmas again so probably a good time to get out and buy again. This christmas is probably your best time yet to get discounts on new cars as not only has the recession effected sales but with the bad weather leading up to christmas dealers will be even more desperate, not to mention the fact that the UK VAT rate is due to go up in the new yr. car check

December 6, 2010 at 5:27 am
(10) car checking says:

this yr should be a great yr for discounts on new cars what with the recession and vat on new cars going up to 20% in Jan.