1. Autos

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Keith Griffin

Ford Needs To Make Ford Windstar Owners Whole

By October 29, 2010

Earlier this week I posted about a Detroit News story that said Ford was offering to buy back Ford Windstars with cracked axles if owners did not want to wait for the parts to repair the poorly constructed minivans. Well, it turns out Ford is only offering the book value of the Windstars. That's wrong. Ford needs to make Ford Windstar owners whole.

(I won't relate the whole tale of cracked axles. Click here if you want to get caught up on the saga.)

As one commenter related in the earlier blog, "I have a 2000 Windstar and its value is above what Fords wants to pay me for it. I just got mine paid off and it's a great van. I can't buy anything close to what I am giving up with $2710. Our dealership here that has my van is only offering extra incentives on new cars. I don't want a payment!!!!!!!!!!! I want a good used car. I never planned on selling my van. I shouldn't have to consider "selling" it now. All's I want is to get a good deal on a good used car, and Ford's should make it right. I will not let them buy me out either. I will drive this loaner till they make it right or fix my Windstar. I'm with calling whoever I have to make Ford's make this right."

That's what Ford needs to keep in mind. People driving 10-year old minivans don't have the means to get into new cars. It's understandable that dealers only want to deal on new cars because it's a soft market right now for new cars but a white hot one for used cars.

Ford made record third-quarter profits of $1.7 billion. It needs to step up and offer Windstar owners double the value of their vans for the inconvenience. That wouldn't bankrupt Ford by any means and could create decades of goodwill.

Owners should bring this matter straight to the top. Send Allen Mullaly's office letters demanding this be made right at this address: Ford Motor Company, 1 American Rd., Dearborn, MI 48126.

As always, feel free to comment below if you have stories or concerns about the Ford Windstar.

Comments
October 29, 2010 at 10:44 am
(1) S says:

I totally agree with you! Offering less than their value is just wrong. My van is in great shape except for this axle issue now. I just bought it in April with about 80,000 miles on it and planned to drive it for at least 3 or 4 years. I can’t afford a car payment higher than what I am currently paying and I do not want a newer model because insurance will probably cost more. I will turn down any offer Ford makes to re-purchase my van that doesn’t help me get into something comparable — I’ll drive the rental at their expense, which right now is a 2011 Fusion!

There are a lot of Windstars listed on Craigslist in the Detroit area right now. I really think people are trying to get rid of them, get some money for them now rather than let them sit at a Ford dealer for the next three months or accept some crappy offer Ford makes.

More people need to know about this too. Some owners have not even been notified of the recall. I let a neighbor know about it — she just bought her 2001 recently and had no idea.

October 29, 2010 at 3:01 pm
(2) Thom says:

I took my 2000 Windstar in on Tuesday. They called me within an hour telling me the rear axle was cracked. I had to wait a couple of days for a rental to become available. Got me a 2011 Chevy Malibu. Wednesday night I get a call from the dealership and Ford wants to offer me $3,995 for the van plus $2,500 incentive toward a “NEW” Ford product, or $1,000 toward a “USED” car. I drive 60 miles a day roundtrip on a 3 lane highway at speeds of 65 MPH +. If I would have had any accident the value of my life to Ford was either $6,495 or $4,995 (not too much considering they made 1.7 billion this quarter). They day the recall covers about 535,000 Windstars. They could easily afford to give each of us $10K – $15K toward a “NEW” vehicle plus 0% for 72 months. We all need to contact Ford about a fair settlement based on what it would have cost them if we were killed driving a defective Ford vehicle.

October 29, 2010 at 3:57 pm
(3) S says:

I can’t believe they made you wait for a rental! My dealer told me the same thing, but I insisted they find me something and sure enough, they sent me over to Enterprise next door. Ford’s customer relations department told me that Enterprise has a contract with Ford to supply the rentals for this recall. No way was I waiting for a rental!

The offer they made you is horrible Thom! I guess they figure since these are “old” cars, they aren’t worth very much, huh? I don’t want a “New” Ford and $1000 toward a used car is not very much at all. For those of us with a loan on our Windstar, they have got to cover the loan amount and offer money toward another vehicle. They need to come up with something better.

So if you refuse their offer, what happens? Are they going to repair your Windstar?

There was a Windstar fatal crash in Whitman, Massachusetts on October 15 — thought to be caused by the rear axle breaking. A 29 year old father of 2 died. He lost control of the vehicle and crashed into a building. Include that piece of information in your letters to Ford.

I’d like to know how many Windstars have been inspected and how many are being held at the dealers due to bad axles. I may start calling around to dealers to see what I can find out.

October 30, 2010 at 7:20 am
(4) Thom says:

S-
The dealership told me expect to wait 3 – 5 months for the part to be available. They told me I should be getting a FedEx letter from Ford about my decision in a couple of days. It only took the dealership 2 days to call me with this offer. I told them I needed a couple of days to think it over, what did they do but call me the next day and ask what I wanted to do. I know the dealership where my Windstar is sitting has at least 15 – 20 sitting in the back lot with cracked axles. My Windstar has been a very dependable van for the last 8 years. It’s moved my kids from college numerous times. We all need to get together and fight Ford on this. Maybe contact the attorney general’s office. We just can’t sit back and take this. Many of us don’t want another car payment. We just want a fair offer and Ford can afford it.

October 31, 2010 at 5:05 am
(5) Steve says:

I too have major issues with the buyback amount for my 1999 Windstar SEL (107K mileage). Ford says they arrived at the buyback price of $3,000 using Kelley Blue Book – Excellent condition. Problem is – KBB value w/my mileage and options shows $5,100 in excellent condition. I ask then how can they make the KBB – excellent statement when that is not the case

Here’s the kick in my gut – recall issued by NHTSA on 8/26/10. Ford sends letters in October 2010. On 9/22/10, I had rear brakes (drums, shoes,wheel cylinders) replaced along with a rusty exhaust flange to the tune of $598. Had I been notified promptly of the recall – I never would have had this work done. And the final idiotic move I made – just before taking the Windstar to the dealer for inspection – I filled the gas tank to the tune of $60!! Car is sitting at dealer w/a full tank. I feel like such a fool.

I called Ford, the dealer (absolute run-around). No satisfaction. Heck, Toyota treated Americans better than Ford (an Americam company) is treating me.

I will take buyout since every year I have to trick engine light (always on) so I can get an inspection sticker.

This is my last Ford vehicle

November 1, 2010 at 11:37 pm
(6) Dan Symms says:

Ford is making a huge mistake and kissing about 50,000 loyal customers goodbye. Ford is willing to pay about $3500 in rental fees for junky compact cars, then about $750 to fix the recalled cars in March but they are not willing to pay more than about $3000 to buyout the bad cars???? It makes no sense. Offer a fair $5000 and keep your customers (many like me will put the $5000 right into another Ford vehile). I am a loyal Ford customer who appreciated that they avoided bankruptcy and bailouts but this situation makes me again think that American Manufactuters are idiots. Take the money that you are throwing at Enterprise’s junky rentals and save your customer base.

November 2, 2010 at 10:40 am
(7) Thom says:

I sent Ford a email about my experience and feelings. Here is what they had to say: SOUNDS LIKE A STANDARD RESPONSE.

Thank you for contacting the Ford Motor Company Customer Relationship Center regarding the buyback offer for your Ford Windstar.

On behalf of Ford Motor Company as a whole, we regret the circumstances which caused you to write. The buyback offer that Ford presents in regards to recall 10S13 in final and cannot be negotiated. Any incentives available would be limited to what is available at http://www.fordvehicles.com or the dealer. We hope that we might have the opportunity in the future to restore your confidence in our products and service.

Thank you for contacting Ford.

Sincerely,
Kevin
Customer Relationship Center
Ford Motor Company

November 2, 2010 at 5:42 pm
(8) usedcars says:

Yikes – that doesn’t sound particularly friendly. I’ve written a blog post and new article on the Ford Windstar recall. Check them out and add your comments. Let’s keep Ford’s feet to the fire.

November 4, 2010 at 2:18 am
(9) SS says:

I received my recall notice on 11/1 and that SAME DAY, my axle cracked almost in half with my children in the car… I nearly had a head-on collision! Aside from being completely freaked out, I’m upset that I was offered a puny $2,300 buy out. I took good care of my van. While I do have a decent loaner car, my part doesn’t come in until late Jan/mid Feb and this “loaner” expires in one month. Also, what does it mean that I’m responsible for taxes on the loaner? My middle child says he’ll never ride in that van again.(emotional trauma!) And, after searching online for a used vehicle that would fir my family of 6, I found NOTHING at the price they offered me. Any advice? =(

November 4, 2010 at 6:27 am
(10) Thom says:

SS
Just sit back and let ford pay for your rental. You should not be responsible for anything, not even taxes. Ford is suppose to pick up the entire tab for a rental for as long as it takes to get your vehicle fixed. The dealership told me sometime in Feb or Mar. They offered me 3995, what can you buy these days for that? Maybe anonther broken Windstar.

November 4, 2010 at 9:33 am
(11) S says:

SS – I had to pay sales tax on my rental and am now trying to get someone at Ford to address this and reimburse me! Good luck! The letter I received states that owners will have to pay sales tax and customer service is saying the same thing. Yet I have read comments on several online articles that people are not paying sales tax.

2300? 3995? Wow, I owe more than that on mine!! Thom, you are right, you can sure get a Windstar right now as there are a whole ton of them for sale on Craigslist! Even used car dealers are selling them — how can they do that? Unless their VIN numbers are not included in the recall?

November 4, 2010 at 4:02 pm
(12) Knarf says:

Mine has been at the dealer now for 3 weeks. I have a rental car (I didn’t have to pay anthing…). Ford Motor called me today to say my offer letter was going out via FedEx and should have it in day or 2. $2350. Like everyone else, I cannot get an equivalent car for that price.

November 4, 2010 at 7:50 pm
(13) Darrell says:

I have a ’99 windstar that has a cracked axle. What Ford Motor company is putting us through is unfair to say the least. We did not create the issue. I contacted Ford and was told that I would be responsible for the tax on a rental vehicle. They wanted to give me a Chevy Cobalt. I told them what to do with that. At that point the dealership told me I could rent an SUV for an additional $10 per day at my expense. In 4 months out of pocket I would pay $1600. Problem is that no one wants to step up to the plate and take responsibility for the fact they screwed up. I have always owned Ford vehicles but not any more.
The only good thing is that we have 2 other vehicles that we can drive so we can get by. What happens to families that only have a van as a primary car? As usual hard working American families get the screw put to them again!

November 4, 2010 at 10:06 pm
(14) Steve says:

Time heals all wounds…sort of.

My minuscule attempts (local TV news consumer advocate and the Mass Attorney Generals office) have produced zero results and after much deliberation with my wife, I called the Ford Dealer to initiate the buyback process for my 99 Windstar with 107,000 miles.

No more disconnecting the battery to trick the engine light so I can get an inspoection sticker, no more sticking a rod in the heater door actuator so we can get heat (and remove in Summer for A/C), no more worries if my tranny will let go like a lot of other owners, no need to worry about having to fork over big bucks for the engine manifold problem should it ever happen.

Long gone are the days of my 99 Windstar having the prestigious “Five Star crash rating”.

No car at this age should be besieged by problems that will cost me in excess of $800 should any one of them go wrong. I feel cheated since I always take care of my vehicles and they are supposed to last.

I will not buy another Ford product.

I wish you all luck

November 9, 2010 at 9:23 pm
(15) apryll jordan says:

I have a 1999 ford windstar sel. Its in excellent condition fully Loaded. I have my rear axial replaced 1 year ago as it cracked in half while my husband was driving. This was 10 minutes after i got home from doing 70 MPH on the highway. I received the recall notice and took my van today. Low and behold my axial is cracked again and they will not give me my van back. I was offered of course the 500.00 refunded from the axial being replaced before. I was offered 3400.00 as a buy back for my van. Where am i going to find a replacement for that!!!!! I told them i want my van back so i can go to my local garage again and get it replaced and I want that money refunded as well, i told them once i have it replaced I want them to add the safety brackets and anti corrosion. They told me I cannot have my van back till its repaired in March 2011. offered me a rental ( a car) i need a van!!!!! I told them I want a van and I am not putting 1 penny out for the rental and Ford needs to pay my car insurance until its repaired as i am not going to pay car insurance for a van i don’t have. I also advised them that once I get my van back I will take it to a garage and have the battery, alternator and everything checked as It cannot be good for a car to just sit in a lot all winter without being ran and they will fix everything. I am waiting to hear their response. I am drafting up a letter tomorrow stating i will be declining the rental car and I am charging Ford 50.00 a day for Keeping my car from me. Then I will tell them I will accept 5000.00 for the van plus my 500.00 refund for the repair I already made to the axil. I am going to my layer and having that 50.00 a day fee drawn up by him. My property is not free and If they will not give my car back they will pay me to keep it. 120 days at 50.00 a day=6000.00. lets see what they do.

November 10, 2010 at 10:34 am
(16) S says:

Apryll — you bring up many good points! However, I would be very surprised if you get ANY response from Ford, and do not count on them giving you your demands. Our vans are being held hostage and we are stuck waiting on Ford to act. I do hope you comment here again if/when you do hear back from Ford!

Why does it take so long for the parts to become available anyway? Can anyone offer an explanation for that? Is the axle design for the Windstar so vastly different from other axles? Or are they re-designing it?

Wouldn’t it be great if someone at Ford started putting a little more thought into the buy-back offers or just determining a fixed amount to give everyone and call it a day. What is the point in them spending all of this money for our rentals for the next 3 months when they could just hand that money over to us now, keep/scrap those vans and let us move on.

November 11, 2010 at 9:38 pm
(17) CGS says:

Folks-
I went ahead and wrote Mullaly with a copy to NTSA. It’s probably futile, but made me feel better. I too feel my Windstar is worth more than the $3-4K they’d offer me. I looked last year and anything decent to replace it was well over $5K. At least I know my car. I like Fords, and I actually like the new ones they’re coming out with very much so I’ll probably stick. What’s not logical though is that they’re going to spend a minimum of $6K+/vehicle, so why not offer a better buyout now for those of us on the cusp and get this “show on the road”? They could then donate the repaired Windstars to charity for a tax writeoff or the dealers could sell the particularly good ones on their lots.

November 13, 2010 at 7:22 am
(18) Thom says:

Did you guys hear about the posible “New Recall”? Better have your Ford service department also checkout your front subframe. If there is a problem with it please fillout the complaint form on NHTSA website. Lets get yet another recall on these vans and maybe Ford will do something better. I do like the idea of charging Ford $50 bucks a day for keeping my van…..Read the article below then google it for more detail.

The National Highway Transportation Safety Administration has opened a second investigation into 1999-2003 Ford Windstar minivans. The new probe has arisen amidst reports of front subframe corrosion that can cause the vehicle to lose steering. Apparently, a number of owners in salt-belt states have complained of front steering components rusting to the point of failure, causing a total loss of steering in the process. NHTSA will be looking into a total 900,000 potentially affected vehicles as part of the first stage of a process that could ultimately lead to recall.

November 15, 2010 at 10:20 am
(19) josh says:

Fords offer to me also would’ve cost me $10 a day to get a van for a rental as i have 4 kids and my spouse to drive around it would only be right to give us a rental equal to the vehicle they are taking then came the offer kbb excellent condition value of a base model when my vehicle is a luxury model with options. typing in the options on kbb i found they were offering me less than good value. This is B.S.

November 15, 2010 at 2:01 pm
(20) Ron M says:

We took our 2001 Windstar in last week to find out that it would have to be kept until next March when the replacement axle is available. We have 4 children and our other vehicle is a pick-up. The local Ford service manager sent us to the local Enterprise rent-a-car where we were informed that they do not have any more vans to rent too Windstar owners like us. The Enterprise employee, while very helpful and informative, was not at all optimistic that we would ever be able to get a replacement rental van from him. We could have driven off with a 5 passenger sedan provided we (not FORD) were willing to pay the approximately $88.00 a month in rental taxes and either accept the additional insurance waiver costs or provide evidence that our Windstar insurance covers the rental car. Unfortunately, we only have liability insurance coverage on our Windstar due to the overall poor, rusted out condition of the vehicle, and found out that it will cost us an additional $100.00+ to add full coverage on that policy so we can satisfy the needs of Enterprise. Like most, our family is strapped for cash and we are not in a position to absorb any additional monthly expenses, especially since we are not even going to end up with the use of a vehicle that suits the needs of our family. The Ford service manager indicated that as far as he can tell, Ford is not looking to buy back 2001-03 models. Therefore, we are left with little or no options and will apparently have to rent the 5 person sedan and suck up the additional monthly costs while we wait until next March for Ford to repair their mistake. If we could afford any additional monthly costs, we would have gotten rid of this Windstar last year. It is hard to belive this is how Ford is treating its customers. We definately feel like we have been shafted by Ford. We will NEVER purchase another Ford again!

November 15, 2010 at 2:11 pm
(21) Thom says:

What happens when a vehicle sits, not started or moved for 5 months? I just put new tires on my Windstar. What will happen to them? Am I going to have another battle with Ford? Has anyone had their subframe looked at?

November 15, 2010 at 3:27 pm
(22) S says:

Regarding the sales tax issue – I emailed Wes Sherwood (Ford representative interviewed by Keith Griffin in this blog) and he responded, stating that Ford recently clarified that it IS paying sales tax on the rentals. Dealers and rental places may not know this yet but they should soon and those of us who have already paid sales tax should be reimbursed and should not have to pay again. I have to renew my rental next week, so we’ll see what Enterprise says!

I called my dealer today to ask that they check the subframe. I was told they would but I plan to check back with them later this week to see if they did it.

One person I talked to in customer service said that dealers are supposed to be starting the vehicles they have in their repair lots every 15 days . . . we should all be talking to the service managers at our dealers to make sure they are doing this and to find out what else, if anything, they will do to “winterize” these vehicles that will be sitting so long. Shouldn’t they be taking the batteries out? And checking tire pressure? What else?

November 15, 2010 at 8:55 pm
(23) Fastman says:

People, please beware that cracked axles are the least of your safety problems with this vehicle. Ford used inferior Chinese steel on most of the undercarriage steel parts. The sub frame, bumper mounts, spare tire brackets, all completely corroded on my 1999 Windstar. Yes, it rode great and performed to all expectations, but Ford failed to anticipate the long term effect road salt would have on this IMPORTED STEEL. You DO NOT cut corners on neither the foundation of a home nor the frame of a vehicle. People have died and more will come to the same fate if these vehicles remain on the road. We also do not know the true stats of accidents due to this vehicle. Please keep writing to the NHTSA and force Ford to DO THE RIGHT THING!

November 15, 2010 at 9:48 pm
(24) Ron M says:

For those dealing with this same type of issue, I thought it would appropriate if I provided an update on my situation. This evening went to pick up the rental car from Enterprise. Still no van but the Enterprise employee indicated that he would find us a van in the next day or two too replace the Nissan Sentra they gave us tonight. Stopped by the Ford Dealer to retreive some personal items from the Windstar and the Service Dept. employee confirmed that just today they received word from Ford that Ford would be paying for the rental vehicle AND ALL Taxes. He also indicated that they have been given strict requirements from Corporate Ford to keep the tires inflated, start and run the cars on regular intervals, and move the approximately 40 Windstars they are currently storing in their back lot over the entire winter. This seems like a much more fair arrangement than what I was originally told by both Ford and Enterprise. I still hope Ford steps up to the plate and makes us a reasonable offer so we can move on and not have to worry or deal with the front frame issue at a future date.

November 17, 2010 at 6:35 pm
(25) Thom says:

well received a fedex today in the mail from Ford. They are giving me 7 days from today to decide if I want to accept the 3995. they are offering me for my Windstar. Not too sure what to do? Hold out for another recall on the subframe? Take the 3995 and tell ford to KISS MY AZZ? All I know I will never buy another Ford again. I have a 1992 Toyota Celica GTS sitting in my garage with 152K miles on it, no rust, frame is still perfect. Why can’t american’s build a car that lasts like these cars do?

November 17, 2010 at 8:59 pm
(26) Steve says:

Thom,

Please see my above post(s) # 5 and 14 above. I am cutting my losses and accepting the buyout. My 1999 SEL was in good shape and I took care of it (translation – I put $$ in to maintain it)

You (and I) have firsthand experience how Ford is treating us over this recall and despite any potential future recalls – why would I stick with them and endure more pain and suffering.

Good luck

November 18, 2010 at 10:16 am
(27) S says:

I have an ’03, so no offer to me, but if I were to get an offer right now, I think I would hold off a bit. Ford is trying to get the federal court case in Pennsylvania dismissed. Oral argument on their motion to dismiss is currently set to be heard on November 29. I do not know how the judge might rule, but there is also a motion being heard that day as to whether or not to certify the lawsuit as a class action. If you accept a buy-back now, chances are you will not be included in any class action. I’m not saying we would all be included, but if the lawsuit is permitted to proceed as a class action, all potential plaintiffs (Windstar owners) have to be notified.

If you decline an offer now, there is always the possibility that Ford will extend another offer later when they come to realize just how much this is all going to cost them. Now, whether a second offer will be better or worse, who can say, but I would lean toward it being slightly better just because they are going to want to avoid further costs. And, with the front subframe issue now, Ford may change the way it is formulating the offers due to the cost of fixing that problem.

I guess it boils down to whether or not you want your Windstar back and how long you are willing to be in limbo waiting for it.

November 18, 2010 at 1:16 pm
(28) Tammey says:

I have a 2001 windstar. When I had the rear axal looked at on october 28. I was told that it was broke in two spots. Almost all the way through on the drivers side and half way through on the pass. side. It was so bad that they didn’t even have to clean the axal to see it. I was told that they have no ideal when I will get my van back. I dont want the thing any more. I’m scared to put my kids back in it.I will never buy another ford again.

November 18, 2010 at 10:46 pm
(29) Steve says:

In response to S (post 27)…I contemplated hanging on and reject the buyout and see how the other recall plays out (we all have different reasons for staying – mine being my two driver family has a third car already so we were looking to eliminate one).

However, I know how Ford has treated me already (noted in my previous posts) and my decision is based on the present . My luck would be to reject the buyout, get the minivan back in February 2011 w/a new rear axle and the tranny will go!! Then what will it be worth? I’ll take the money and run.

My not buying another Ford product will not harm them one iota.

November 19, 2010 at 1:37 am
(30) Danielle says:

I would be vary happy with just getting rid of this van! I have a 2003 Ford Wind star and EVERYTHING has gone wrong with it and continues to go wrong! I have replaced the transmission, the ABS light keeps coming on and the box needs to be replaced, I replaced part of the power steering pump, something is wrong with the electrical system because my dome light stays on even when all my doors are shut tight (and I did clean the contact things like they suggested, didn’t help) and one of my license plate lights won’t work because the socket for the bulb is MELTED! Also there is a weird rattling noise in the front end that I am getting checked out in the morning, and the final straw happened this past week while I was driving home with my 3 year old daughter and 6 month old son….I pushed on the brakes and the vehicle ACCELERATED! It has happened twice now. I am scared to drive this thing anymore! Being a single mother, I can’t afford this van anymore! Of course I would like the FULL amount I have put into this thing back, but I would rather have the $2700 to at least put down on something else and know my children are safe while we are traveling!

November 22, 2010 at 6:41 am
(31) jim says:

Well, my 99′ windstar has been at the dealer for two months now. Twice a month, I go to the lot, start it up and run it for 15min at a time. I’m really worried that all this sitting will do it harm. I was going to sneak him up to get some fuel and add some air to the tires but now is blocked in by over 50 Windstars sharing the same fate. I was told they have to totally re-design the new axle, then put it into production. Well thats good I guess. I have been offered all the buyouts, Im not quite ready to give up yet. I have had it since it was brand new. Always have changed the oil, change the trans fluid every year etc. My 99 has been THE best vehicle I have ever owned with over 179,000 miles of flawless service. But, I have another problem. The subframe. Its like swiss cheese. You can stick your finger through it in certain places. Its in worse shape than my cracked axle. I have called the NHTSB and filed a complaint with the subframe which is something EVERY windstar owner must do, to get the ball rolling on the next recall. I’m planning to get another 150,000 on old blue! Is my plan crazy, yes, but its more like a quest now. Dont give up good Windstar owners, keep hoping and praying and this thing were going through will be resolved.

November 23, 2010 at 4:06 pm
(32) chris says:

Its great that Ford is paying to have us in a rental. My 2001 windstar has two cracks in the back axle. The only problem is now I am paying to replace the windshield in the rental. Not cheap. At least 300 dollars.

November 24, 2010 at 10:32 pm
(33) FAS says:

Interesting reading.
We live in SW Ontario,and I’ve had had our 2000 SEL (260,000 kms)spray oiled quite regularly,and when we took it in for inspection a couple weeks ago,I was surprised they found a small hole in he rear axle.
Since we’re in a rural area,we were allowed to drive it for a few more days until the rental could be arranged. Luckily we got a ’10 Explorer,which is good size wise,but mileage is not great. Never the less, it’s covered.
So I haven’t recieved my letter yet. I’m hearing rumours of $4000ish buyouts. I was hoping to stretch the Winny out for a couple more years..but with this developing engine cradle problem, I’m not sure I want to now.
I’ll probably seriously consider a $4G buyout,if that’s what I’m offered. Bird in the hand…

Thanks for this forum where we can share our stories.

November 27, 2010 at 3:29 pm
(34) Milissa Thompson says:

We also have received a buyout offer $3635 for a 00 w/ 179K miles…….

My question is this….. How long does it actually take Ford to get the check in your hand… They’ve had our van since day 2 of the recall ….. They sent us the papers….. we 2 hours round trip to the dealership so that they could notarize and fax back to Ford…… Now they are saying we have to come back 2 more times?!?! Once to sign more papers and then pick up the check…..

How in the heck do they expect people to do all of this while they try to work and raise a family….. This is a HUGE headache and at this point I just want it to go away…..

November 29, 2010 at 12:25 pm
(35) Preaching to the Choir says:

If Ford paid me 5000 for my Windstar, I’d put that with my 3000 from my income tax refund and get a Ford Escape. I’ve wanted one of those since 2008.

Right now, I’m in limbo just waiting. So far the dealer says they’re waiting for parts to fix the axle and it could be January at the earliest. In the meantime I’m picking up my Enterprise rental today at 2:30

November 29, 2010 at 12:38 pm
(36) TDG says:

@Milissa Thompson: How long did it take before you got your buyout offer?

November 29, 2010 at 3:14 pm
(37) Thom says:

Well sent in my offer sheet today to Ford. Might as well take the 4000 and run. The windstar has been a great van, but she is getting sort of old and has 160K miles on her. They said it would be sometime in January before I get my money, so I will continue to drive the rental……RIP

December 3, 2010 at 9:42 am
(38) grandbrats says:

I’m still waiting for the paperwork for the buyout from 11/12.
I didn’t take a rental because I don’t want to pay the taxes.The dealer says I have to keep car ins. on it. Do I really need to keep paying ins. on a car that I’m not driving. It’s $1900.

December 3, 2010 at 12:44 pm
(39) Luke says:

Does anyone know if they are offering buybacks for 2003′s? I just found out mine is cracked, and my dealer told me that there are no buybacks for my year.

December 3, 2010 at 10:00 pm
(40) FAS says:

I think only up to 2000 Luke.

Update.
The ’10 Explorer we’ve been driving has been sold. So he said they have a Yukon there for us. I asked about the “Only Ford rentals” thing..he said that Ford was billed no matter what I drive..plus they are running out of Fords.

No envelope from FoMoCo here yet, but the service gal told me the offer was $4Gs and change.

Our Windstar HAS been a lemon. Same AC line fixed 4 times,and it’s since gone again. Broken front coil sping. Repaired wiring harness. Anti lock light. Wore out rear right shock that I swore came from the sliding door. Squeak coming from, what appeared to be the water pump..it was the cam synchronizer. Yeah, some normal wear and tear..some dumb things.

It’s 10yrs old. As I said, I was hoping for 2 more years..but $4 Gs is waaay more than the market value of it right now,in trade or the open market. And additional $2500 if I buy another Ford, plus X plan pricing, plus a cash for clunker vehicle, So I haven’t discounted another Ford just yet.

December 4, 2010 at 7:12 am
(41) Thom says:

grandbrats
I dropped my insurance today. I talked to my agent and he said since it’s just sitting on a dealer’s lot and unsafe it was ok to drop. Sure going to miss the old windstar, it’s been a great van. I had a few problems with it, but my nephew was manager of a ford dealership garage so he was able to keep things up to date on it…….

December 4, 2010 at 3:24 pm
(42) Jen says:

I agree. Ford is not giving me enough to buy a good vechicle. HOw can they do this to us. My van is paid for and I cant afford a payment. I am currently unemployed. THey should have to at least give me double what it is worth so I can get a good dependable van.

December 20, 2010 at 10:08 pm
(43) MissMyWindstar says:

It’s been 6 weeks since our 2001 van was ‘confiscated’. Right now I’m driving a 2010 Town & Country, at no charge to me of course. Never did receive a buy-out offer. In the meantime, my van is costing Ford $40/day. I figure when all is said and done, they will pay $4K to $5K just in rental fees… certainly would have been in their better interest to offer me more than that to buy another Ford, duh!

December 22, 2010 at 12:57 pm
(44) FAS says:

We sold back our Windstar to Ford on Friday Dec 17. We’ve been told we still have use of the rental until the payment arrives here.

Also looks like ABC has gotten ahold of the story.

If that link doesn’t work,just copy and paste it.

December 25, 2010 at 5:14 pm
(45) Deam says:

Have a 2001 SEL with 116,000 in great shape. Crawled under and looked at the axle. No rust on it and it has a yellow paint dot on it? Have owned five years Have not received a recall notice on it yet, but taking it in to the dealer next week for inspection. Not driving it again, other than to the dealer, until I know the status.
If Ford doesn’t make this right in a timely manner, they will lose my 20 years of loyalty(9 Ford products) immediately.

December 26, 2010 at 12:22 am
(46) two windstars says:

Ford had offered me 2500.00 for my 99. It’s a great Price for the shape that it’s in, but I’m like other people that can’t just go out and buy a vehicle. If Ford would offer the 2500.00 and Employee pricing (D plan). I might just be willing to go buy another Ford Product. For now I’ll just sit in two rental cars..

December 26, 2010 at 10:45 am
(47) Sandy says:

My deepest sympathy to the family that lost their Dad in a Windstar accident. That is just absolutely wrong and horrible. Ford bought back my van for $2000. It has been 2 weeks and I have not received a check. I will keep the rental until I get the check in the mail.

December 27, 2010 at 6:46 pm
(48) Dean says:

An earlier comment made about Winstar owners drivng a 10 year old car and not be able to afford a newer one?

I believe most Winstar owners haven’t had the desire to replace their Winstars(up till now) and have kept them and taken good care of them. I, for one, have a great looking 2001 SEL fully loaded with 116,000 miles on it. It’s been paid for years ago, and I don’t really want a car payment.

Winstar owners CAN afford a newer vehicle, but why should we when we have a low maintenance, reliable(again, up until now) vehicle that can haul a family of five or six easily.

The down side is we are now all driving a vehicle that has been “branded” unsafe and who is to say the replacement axle is going to be any better than the original one. Unless Ford steps up and gives us a fair market value for our Windstars, we will lose when we attempt to sell or trade in.
Just ask a Ford dealer what he will give you for your Windstar now on a trade.

As mentioned earlier, I have a 20 year history of buying Ford products and if not treated fairly,….my loyalty will go bye bye faster than you can say….broken axle.

December 28, 2010 at 9:58 am
(49) Catharine says:

I have to say that my experrience seems to have been much better than everyone else’s. I for one am very pleased with my deal. I was offered $2,000 on my’98. I probably could not have sold it for as much, we were given a Dodge Mini-Van immediately for our rental our Ford dealership had a Dodge 2-years newer with half the milage for $1,800!!! Myhusband being a mechanic look the Dodge over and grabbed it up, he said it was better cosmetically and mechanically than the one we have!
I for one am very thankful that nothing happened and no one got hurt in our case, but I am also very thankful that this worked out to our advantage!
One other comment to make – I for one will be greatful to Ford for this oppurtunity and one thing I will also remember is how when those other car manufacturers took that little helping hand from the government, Ford refused and did it all on their own!!

December 28, 2010 at 10:10 am
(50) Thom says:

Well signed the papers yesterday (12/26). My 2000 Windstar SEL had 157K miles on it and was still running strong. They offered me $4000 for it. I knew even after it was fixed I would not get nothing close to 4000 for it, so I figured it was time. Now comes the fun part dealing with car salesmen. They sure want your business at the end of the year. Did you know Ford was only giving us until 1/4/2011 to get the 2000 loyality money…..

December 29, 2010 at 11:45 pm
(51) Anthony says:

I agree with the article. I am declining the offer. They gave me the value but my van is in excellent shape and have everything I need with it. I have the SEL so I got all the upgrades, it is paid off, and why should I get into payments that I cannot afford at this time. Ford needs to step up and pay more and more incentives to change my mind. They have to convince me with a close deal and not just throw me a low amount. My answer will be Nop and I will enjoy the rental Town & Country they rented me. I am enjoying it.

January 5, 2011 at 3:33 pm
(52) William says:

Also I am enjoying the 2010 town&country. But I worry my van. They should be left it at outside lot for a long time.

January 10, 2011 at 3:23 pm
(53) Frank says:

Finaly took the van in today. An injury kept me from doing so earlier. I asked about the buyback offer and was told that it has expired. Anyone else hear of the offer expiring? Didn’t get any notice. Also my van has horrible stearing and clunking in the front. I’m gonna go out and inspect the subframe. If it’s toast, then I’m really gonna push for a buyback.

January 12, 2011 at 6:48 pm
(54) s says:

My husbands windstar is at dealers parked in behind other ones with a flat tire and has not been move for 2 months

January 24, 2011 at 12:42 pm
(55) Dawn says:

I also looked at the info I recieved from Ford and no where did it say there was a deadline to a buyout. All it said was “At our discretion, Ford may choose to extend an offer to repurchase vehicles with cracked or perforated axles in lieu of replacing the axle”. Mine was cracked when I took it in first week in Jan. and was told the buyback was only until Dec. 31. I dont know that I will feel safe in this vehicle again even with the repairs.

January 24, 2011 at 9:02 pm
(56) MissMyWindstar says:

I talked the other day to someone at our local dealership. Was told the buyback program ended 12/31 because the part should ship end of January… and that the buyout program was there just to try to save some money in rental fees. Was also told that our dealership started receiving vans in September and that they will fix based on when the vans came in. About 125 vans to be fixed at our dealership…

January 26, 2011 at 12:29 am
(57) FAS says:

Last entry.
Got our check from FOMOCO a few days ago. $4068 CND,which is pretty much par with US $$.. Took the rental Explorer back the same day, everything was OK with Enterprise..no extra fees on anything. They were very accomodating with us.
We’ve been searching for a vehicle to replace the Windstar since we agreed on the buyout. New..used..Nothing that fit our budget,and we liked. The day we got our check,and returned the rental, the wife found an 06 Envoy on Kijiji, with 70,000 kms ( 43,500 mi) for a great price. The seller told me he was going to be passing through the area. We had him stop by,and checked it out, and agreed to purchase right there. Took delivery yesterday. For just over $10Gs,(plus the Ford check), plus taxes,we have a loaded Envoy with relatively low K.
I’ve been reading all the entries,and I can understand how some people are upset. I have to say,we’ve been lucky,as our experience was uncertain at times,but ended up very positive.
Good luck all.

January 26, 2011 at 4:45 pm
(58) Jim Prahst says:

This just in Windstar owners, Ford has now recalled the front subframe! Mine is rotted through, and my control arm brackets are ready to fall off! Make sure to contact your dealer or Ford for any questions.

January 27, 2011 at 4:02 pm
(59) Nadine says:

Just talked to my local dealer and head office, rear axles are starting to come into some dealers but not all. Head office has no information on the new recall for the front frame. MIGHT do buy backs if the rear axel and front frame apply.

January 28, 2011 at 6:30 pm
(60) dave says:

I have a 2002 ford windtar I was driving down the road and the airbag deployed for no reason I did not hit anything Very lucky I was able to pull over and not get in an accident. Called ford to complain and they said nothing they could do, but told me I havea recall on axel. needless to say axel failed and now I am driving rental now another recall I was wondering if corrosion set off my airbag also.

February 1, 2011 at 6:43 pm
(61) judy says:

Our 2002 Windstar has been at the dealership since oct with a racked rear axel. We went to get som items out of it this past week and tried to start it. Needless to say it wouldn’t start. They told me they try to start them every 2 weeks but Ford only requires once a month. Guess what? We are all goingto be paying big time to get our vans to run the way the used to before sitting for months. I am very upset.

February 3, 2011 at 10:27 pm
(62) Sandy says:

Received my check from Ford to buy back my van on Jan. 19. It took 5 weeks. I ahd to pick it up at the dealer. Now that the Windstar is being recalled again, I am glad we took the buy back.

I just wish they gave me the 3000 dollars they paid for my rental. I had it for 3 months.

February 6, 2011 at 11:23 am
(63) MissMyWindstar says:

Does anyone know how they are handling the second recall — curious if they will finish both recalls at same time. I really like having a rental while the van is being fixed, don’t know if they would grant a rental if the van has to go back a separate time for the subframe issue. ( have had rental since beginning of November)

February 11, 2011 at 6:24 pm
(64) KevinJ says:

I have a 2001 Special Edition – Limited version. Only around 100,000 miles on it. It has ran well – out side of recalls. The thing looks new and took care of it. No way can I afford another vehicle right now that can replace it. My BV is probably around 3500 – if I get at least 5G maybe. Just want the thing fixed. I hope Ford understands that we cant all go out and buy a 40,000G explorer.

Enterprise loaned me a Chevy HHR love it. Maybe I can get me a poor mans ‘buerban. (USED- Very Used)

February 16, 2011 at 2:19 pm
(65) V L says:

I just dropped my van off today and they are checking both recalls at one time. I dropped it off over my lunch and they had the rental there waiting for me. I don’t even know if there is anything wrong but told them it was the only vehicle I have so they got me the rental. I am hoping they don’t offer any kind of buy out. I definately CAN’T afford any car payment right now………

February 17, 2011 at 5:10 pm
(66) Dave G says:

My 99 went in back in Nov 2010 RL axle broke while my wife was shopping. She is very upset and only because we can’t afford a payment I have decided to keep it. Came back 2/5/11 needs a sticker. and tires. and now shocks, struts, and has ROT at the sliding door rocker panel that I feel is part of the unibody frame. I was going to get the listed repairs done when the front sub frame 11S16 recall came today! Dealers can’t or won’t be able to even look at this untill 3/21 – So I called Ford, to no avail and filed a complaint this recall has no rental and no way I’m sinking good $$$ out of pocket, to drive it for a MONTH just to see if it is repairable or junk. I’m screwed and Ford knows it…

February 23, 2011 at 2:17 pm
(67) Megan says:

After we recieved another recall notice while our 2000 windstar sits in a repair shop we decided we wanted the buyback option. The dealership where our van sits told us we had 10 days to make that decision. my husband called ford and they told him it ended in december. I dont want to keep this van any longer. I have 3 small children and would like something reliable

February 23, 2011 at 10:10 pm
(68) Mom-of-4 says:

I also have a 03 Windstar…no dealer in the area can even look at the 2nd recall for at least 2 weeks. I called Ford they also called the 5 nearest dealers to no avail. They are having the “windstar” team call me back within 24 hours. Who feels safe with this van anymore? Not me! Who can afford a new car these days? I love the car, have had no problems in 7 years… Want to support America..but this mess is making me say ..Honda… Lets hope Ford hears us all!

February 26, 2011 at 8:04 pm
(69) William Freese says:

I have all the same commits that many have I planned on driving my Winstar till they put me in the ground I am a sr. citizen it ran well I kept it in good shape just had body work done on it last year i can’t afford a payment for a different car .Maybe we should form a Midwest Winstar alliance and get a high dollar lawer if ford doesn’t want to do right by us I’m not taking less then $8000.00 OR They can put a new frame under my van. THIS IS NOT OUR FAULT!!!!!!!!!!

February 26, 2011 at 11:32 pm
(70) Sherri says:

I took my 03 windstar we bought new, to the dealership in the fall for the rear axel. It was not cracked proubley because it only has 69k. I took it back this morning for an inspection on the subframe I was surprised to find that it was in really bad shape. Enterprise gave me a Chevy Impala but told me to call back weekly to get a van or SUV when they are returned. I was told from service that this problem could take anwhere from a month to six months. I’m not happy with this situation like others but I will not take a buyout because they can’t put me in another loaded vehicle with 70k and no payment. I have never had any problems with the van and I still believe in Ford products.

March 2, 2011 at 8:32 pm
(71) teresa says:

i have a 2001 ford windstar that the vin is under the recall when i took the van in i was offered 2000 for it in good shape i might add they wouldnt even talk to me about a loaner car told me i would have to bring it back in so they could change the wiring harness (the entire harness) that it is prone to melt and cause a fire i understand they want to save money who doesnt but the issue is they should have kept my van gave me a loaner and fixed it then just because the part wasnt in was not my problem so i drove it home and it has been used very little since as i am scared to go very far in it now i have another recall on it why cant they offer me another used car from thier lot in exchange for my van with no cost to me 2000 isnt going to cover a new car and i am currently unemployed with two children to ferry to doc appointments and such i was told i had to buy a new car from their lot with the 2000 dollars they were going to give me how am i supposed to afford that on nothing i have no income i feel for everyone who owns a ford and regret that we all share this issue seriously thinking of contacting a lawyer about this something should be done this is totaly not right.

March 3, 2011 at 3:03 pm
(72) Tammey says:

I got the call today that my 2001 windstar will be ready to pick up tomorrow. But out of the two recalls that are on my van that needed to be fixed. Only the real axal was fixed they said that they will call me when the part for the other recall comes in. I’m sorry to say this but I’m sending the van to the junk yard tomorrow. There is no way that I am putting my children in that van again. I don’t even fell safe driving it anymore. I mean what could go wrong on it next. I’m not taking that risk. I have a new van that i am very happy with and no it’s not a ford. I’m going to take the 300.00 that the junk yard is going to give me. I wish you all the best of luck with your windstars.

March 4, 2011 at 6:20 pm
(73) CST says:

Our 2002 Windstar axle broke the day after the news broke that there would be a recall (end of August). My husband was driving when it happened. Thankful for that because I don’t know that I could have handled it the way he did. We had a ‘loaner’ from the dealership until our axle was replaced at the end of January. When we got our vehicle back it needed inspected. Well…we had some issues of course after it sat for so long. The service manager was very rude, and Ford customer service was no help at all. Long story short…If you don’t have the extended warranty on your van there is absolutely NOTHING that Ford will do outside of changing the axle. Their response is ‘The only thing we are responsible for is the recall”. We had our van back for a month now and just finally were able to get everything fixed on it. Took it to get inspected and failed. 2 things: the rotors are rusted from sitting so long which also added rust to the brakes and subframe is questionable. Took it to Ford this morning to have it checked. Picked up our rental this afternoon and there is no date available as to when they will have parts. I just read in an article that Ford has known about the axle issues for years but thought they’d get away with it because it would happen after the 3 year warranty. Well, Ford, all I can say is KARMA!!!

March 5, 2011 at 11:59 pm
(74) nina says:

I really hope that the buyout is not over because I just received the recall letter for the axle. My 2000 windstar has been sitting outside for almost 3 months with a broken tranny. Finally i decided to get it fixed and I get the recall letter in the mail. At he same time I am having a problem with the power steering, I wonder if that has anything to do with the subframe.
This car has given me some problems, check engine light with vacuum leak, abs, no heat. I have a corolla with 240k never a problem, I rebuilt the body 3 times because of accidents and it is still kicking. Ford= Found On Road Dead or backwards= Driver Returned On Foot. I was thinking of buying the TRANSIT but no. SHAME ON YOU FORD.

March 7, 2011 at 10:14 am
(75) sharron m. says:

We live in S.W. Ont. Heard about recall in Aug. 2010, had the van checked out by mechanic at local Ford garage because of upcoming trips to city (100kms) away for radiation treatments. He said axle looked fine, he had one break on his & knew what to look for. Off we went driving highway speed, 5 days a week, for 5 weeks, feeling safe. Got the letter from Ford in Nov., took the van in & it was taken off the road then & there. Budget gave us 2011 Ford Fusion rental, great little car–in Jan. this year the power steering assist went on the rental. No problem, we were given another. So far so good. In the meantime we were offered $4,068.00 buyout which we turned down –there’s no money in this budget for another vehicle. We’ve put a lot of repairs into the van & were happy with it.We’re now looking at taking the buyout if they offer again–I can’t go back to work because of condition, Hubby is on pension, so we walk or depend on others for rides. Thankfully we didn’t kill ourselves or anyone else.

March 14, 2011 at 9:50 pm
(76) Nina says:

I took my 2000 ford windstar to the dealer last week for the recalls. They inspected and they gave me back the van the next morning because they didn’t find any rust. I had my van for 2 years in Arizona and 2 years in NY where it was garaged. I only have 125000 miles and I just had the transmission rebuilt last week. I f anybody is interested in buying I am selling only because gas is expensive and I don’t need it anymore.

March 17, 2011 at 7:31 am
(77) Jamie says:

Wow. I just found out about the recall yesterday from surfing the internet, I never received a recall notice though I have in the past and live at the same address.. I have a 99 for windstar and live in Illinois. Im calling the dealership in one hour when they open. Shouldn’t ford have to replace all of the parts if they see rust or not. I mean apparantly its going to happen why is ford waiting until there is damage to do the replacements just pull the vans in and replace the parts on them all? Im very worried and I really hope that I dont get the run around like everyone else has. I dont think that I will feel safe driving with my three small children if they dont replace the parts….

March 18, 2011 at 11:15 am
(78) Sandy says:

We have a 2003 Windstar SE & we love it & have taken good care of it. We were notified in early December & have been in a rental ever since & I can’t complain about that except not having something larger @ first for us I tote around 2-4 grandkids on a daily basis & the Chevy Cobalt was too small. We were sent a “form sale advertisement” & we made a appointment & went in to see what they had to say. We were told that the front would not even be inspected until the part “designated” for our van was in.,which will be at least another month. At that time if the front fails as well, they will not fix the van, offer a buyout @ approx 1500-2000 & we asked them to look up book value while we were there & it was 6000, & he said we could refuse the buyout, but ford would basically give the keys back to us & Not their problem anymore! What I believe would be fair is put us in a “newer” SAFE vehicle & what ever we still owe on our 2003 Windstar, is where you pick up on the “newer” van. We are not in a position to buy a NEW van with approx pmt of 400 (what dealer told us) & if it does fail & we can’t get a new loan for another vehicle, where does that leave us?? we have made every pmt on this, I I hate making a payment every month & pay insurance on something we don’t even have & will we ever have it again??

March 19, 2011 at 4:34 pm
(79) Devin says:

ok. I picked up my Windstar in fall of 2009. Over the course of 2010 I put $6000 into it because I will not get any credit for a new car. 2009 I lost my job and the two vehicles I had at the time were repossessed. I scheduled an oil change and when I got to the dealership they told me about the recall. Well.. turns out that after a preliminary inspection my from subframe will fail the formal inspection. I still have my van and like many am in no position to buy another used vehicle to sink more cash into nor am i in the position to buy something. new. With the price of used cars these days I think Ford should be offering $18000 to all affected windstar owners. For one, we were not expecting this. For two.. how long have they known about this issue and how long have they been putting my life at risk for their slow action? For three… those of us who have these vans and intended to keep them for something like 5 years we just can’t buy a new used car – it’s just easier said than done.

March 21, 2011 at 3:27 pm
(80) Ryan says:

I just bought a 2000 windstar for $800 and put $200 in parts in it. Found out about the front end recall and brought it in and they said it was unrepairable and offered me $6100 for a buyout….hahaha great investment. I made $5000 in two weeks

March 22, 2011 at 7:39 pm
(81) Susan says:

We just bought our windstar from a used car dealership in June, we needed a vehicle asap to replace dh’s pickup that was totalled when it was rearended. Anyhow a few weeks ago, we got a letter for the subframe recall and dh took it to the garage and they immediately told us about the other recall for the rear axle (apparently since we only had it since june is the reason we never got the recall letter) so they checked it out and told dh the axle was cracked and that the subframe was bad that they couldn’t release the vehicle back to him that we had to get a rental car, at their expense. Today my dh went to the garage to find out if they had heard anything from ford yet, and the mechanic told my dh that the axle was a easy fix, that it would simply be replaced, but as of right now, they haven’t heard anything from ford about a fix for the subframe, that ford hasn’t even figured up a design to be able to repair/replace this. We are like alot of people on here, we can’t afford to take a 2000 buy back offer. We still owe 1000.00 on the van, what could we possibly get for 1000.00? We just bought this for 5000.00 in June!

March 25, 2011 at 9:23 pm
(82) Richard says:

Did anyone heard about an actual repair made on the subframe of a car taken off the road by Ford regarding 11S16 recall? Is it true that Ford has not yet designed the part to fix the subframe problem? Did anyone receive a buyback offer from Ford for a 2003 Windstar (just like mine), especially in Canada? Thanks.

March 28, 2011 at 10:43 pm
(83) worried lady says:

just bought 99 windstar 1 year ago. had to replace front end issues almost immediately. now its on the back lot of the dealership for the axle recall. ugh…. how long will it take to get it back????

March 29, 2011 at 12:26 am
(84) Mark says:

Oh NO!!!! I feel so screwed. I just bought this 1998 Windstar. I had no idea about this recall and wish that I had done my homework now. Am I stuck with a useless vehicle now? I bought it in February so that I could get around to school. I’m unemployed and if it breaks down I’m really up a creek. I read somewhere tonight that Ford is not honoring buying back if the vehicle was bought after August 2010, when the recall was announced. I was about to spend more money on the transmission and am glad I found this. Not worth it.

Any ideas of how to get this fixed?

April 1, 2011 at 11:26 am
(85) Tina says:

Anybody else thinking CLASS ACTION????
My van has ben at the dealership since Oct. 29 and I was never even issued a buy back offer!

April 1, 2011 at 3:35 pm
(86) Tabitha says:

My husband and I took our van yesterday morning to be inspected at the local dealership. A couple hours later they told us we could not drive it off the lot, it was undrivable and a deathtrap. Ford is willing to “buy back” our van (99 Windstar) for $5453 or we can use that as credit towards a new vehicle from the lot. If we take the check option it takes 30 to 60 days AND (this is what really pissed me off) they’ll only give us a rental for FIVE days! What are we going to do for the rest of the time while we wait? I’m sure not going to buy a new car from them, that was the whole point of us getting the van; it was paid off. I’m furious and have no clue what else we can do. There are three other women in my small office that are all having the same issue now too. :(

April 11, 2011 at 3:02 pm
(87) Jodee says:

I had to take my Windstar into have the front end check out on a recall, well my front motor cradle is cracked and not repairable. They just called me and made an offer of $3700 for a buy back amount. To me this is not a fair offer, I do not want another car payment. I had to put in another transmission about a year and a half ago which cost me over $2300. I did this to avoid having another payment. It is not my fault that Ford made a junk Windstar and why should I have to be the one to suffer for them tryin to cut costs? Does anyone know who I can talk to about this? They only gave me 5 days to take or leave this offer. I am totally lost for words right now!

April 13, 2011 at 2:49 pm
(88) StrubleinMichigan says:

We just had our Windstar in for the subframe recall and like everyone else the dealer gave us 5 days to decide whether or not we wanted to take the “buyback” that Ford was offering. The total amount was $3,720 (99 windstar LX). I went to Kelley Blue Book myself and came up with $5,048 that my van was worth using the options that it came with (CD player, tinted rear windows, premium wheels, etc) Ford is not doing it this way. They are using a standard formula to figure the buyback amount. Per their recall it states: “The vehicle refund for Safety Recall 11S16 is based on the vehicle model year and Trim Level using Kelley Blue Book, Private Party, Excellent condition, and assuming 12,000 miles per year”. The problem is that this is a standard way to figure out the value of a vehicle. Ford is NOT allowing consumers to put in the options that their particular vehicles have to come up with what they should be paying out. I have tried to talk to our dealer and Ford and was told that the payout is not negotiable. I could take the $3,720 or sign the waiver that states Ford is not liable if anything were to happen if we continue to drive the vehicle. We took the buyout as I didn’t feel like we had any other option. I hate being bullied by this company!! Why are some payouts in the $5,000 range and others $3,000 range as ours was? We had a 99 Windstar LX and you have to use 144,000 miles per the recall notice from Ford. Everyone with a 99 LX should be getting the same payout.

If anyone hears about a class action I would love to join. Not sure if that is possible after we have taken the buyout. Since we only had 5 days to decide. . .. didn’t feel like we had any other reasonable choice. Was offered no rental car either. Dealer gets $300 for each unused portion of the rental provision. No wonder!!

Glad my other two cars are Hondas!

April 14, 2011 at 9:32 am
(89) Steve says:

Got my offer from Ford yesterday for $3720 buyback on my 99 windstar lx (totally rusted subframe) with only 65000 miles on it. Ford says that is 150% of KBB value – but it must be the kbb trade-in value that they are using. There’s no way I can find a minivan with that low mileage for that price. But what are my options? Guess I’m lucky to get anything at this point. Car is in otherwise mint condition. It’s a damn shame. I’d like to join a class action too, but I either have to accept the buyback now, or be left with a 2 ton doorstop.

April 19, 2011 at 12:53 pm
(90) Canada Windstar says:

Mauger Ford in New Richmond,Quebec Canada lied to me not once but TWICE so i will never trust them again! When Ford in Grand River Quebec first offered me a BUY BACK on my recalled Windstar… they would not tell me how long it would take to receive the payment for it. Mauger in New Richmond told me “about one week” then they told me “this week” now Grand River is telling me A MONTH…grrrrr!
They are also refusing to give me any copies of the forms i signed! Sound honest to anyone…..

April 19, 2011 at 9:11 pm
(91) Eileen from Glenside PA says:

Class action filed in Philadelphia by Golomb and Honick, go on their website, put in your info, they will call you. Their phone number is 215-985-9155. I’m getting screwed too with that $3720 offer for a 99 Windstar with only 85,000 miles – the offer is based on assumption 144,000 miles. NOT FAIR FORD.
Wes Sherwood, Ford Rep, stated buyout is based on kbb value, private sale, excellent condition.
I will be writing to: Allen Mullaly, Ford Motor Col, 1 American Road, Dearborn, MI 48126. Phone number for customer relations is 18003223673. Rax number is 313-337-1298.

April 20, 2011 at 6:58 pm
(92) DKohler says:

BUILT FORD TOUGH!!!!! 3 transmissions one head gasket, sticking a rod in the heater door actuator so we can get heat (and remove 4 A/C) speed control sensor, ABS light and lots of other things In march of 2010 our windstar’s rear axle failed while my wife’s way to work thank god she did not lose control and hit anyone or anything else. Brought to a garage and had a new rear axle installed. Months later got a recall. Ford inspected it and determined that it was done correctly still trying to get paid for that. Late Feb 2011 transmission went this will be 3rd time. As my wife and i were saving to have this fixed As we cant afford payments got recall notice front sub frame control arm finally got the money together had transmission replaced for $3,200 as mechanic was going to install new trans called to notify us that front sub frame was cracked and his opinion was drive directly over to ford and have this fixed immediately as he felt that it was unsafe to drive any more than that. Brought vehicle to ford who determined that the the problem was unfix able (although ive seen front sub frames on line from ford for about 1,200 dollars Can i sue them to fix it with a new front frame) and they offered to buy back van for $3800 dollars. are they insane what can i get for 3800 we had to save for more than 2 month just to get trans fixed. Being un/underemployed we can not afford a new payment Also got new tires in Oct. for $600 do i sign waiver? and take it back to have reinforcing plates welded on and take chance, this may be only option we can”t afford a payment I don’t think anybody will extend any credit to us any way as the building trades are especially hard hit in this recession and my credit has suffered to the point that i have any. Give me the $3800 + 3200 for trans and give me 0% credit for five years on a used vehicle. From whatever they have on their lot or another dealer.
BUILT FORD TOUGH!!!!!

April 20, 2011 at 7:04 pm
(93) Don says:

taking a lot of abuse from this vehicle 3 transmissions one head gasket, controlling the heat & a/c with a hook speed control sensor, and lots of other things in march of 2010 our windstar’s rear axle failed while my wife’s way to work thank god she did not lose control and hit anyone or anything else. Brought to a friends garage and had a new rear axle installed. Months later got a recall for rear axle months ford inspected it and determined that it was done correctly still trying to get paid for that. Late Feb 2011 transmission went this will be 3rd time. As my wife and i were saving to have this fixed As we cant afford payments got recall notice front sub frame control arm finally got the money together had transmission replaced for $3,200 as mechanic was going to install new trans called to notify us that front sub frame was cracked and his opinion was drive directly over to ford and have this fixed immediately as he felt that it was unsafe to drive any more than that. Brought vehicle to ford who determined that the the problem was unfix able (although ive seen front sub frames on line from ford for about 1,200 dollars Can i sue them to fix it with a new front frame) and they offered to buy back van for $3800 dollars. are they insane what can i get for 3800 we had to save for more than a month just to get trans fixed. Being un/underemployed we can not afford a new payment Also got new tires in Oct. for $600 do i sign waiver? and take it back to have reinforcing plates welded on and take chance, this may be only option we can”t afford a payment I don’t think anybody will extend any credit to us any way as the building trades are especially hard hit in this recession and my credit has suffered to the point that I cant get a loan. Give me the $3800 + 3200 for trans and give me 0% credit for five years on a used vehicle. From whatever they have on their lot or another dealer.

April 21, 2011 at 2:22 pm
(94) sharman says:

I am in Canada so what abot Class Action here. I take my 2002 sport in on Friday and not sure wht to expect! I have 5 kids and my father lives in MOncton N.B…. It has 336,000kms and works great just paid it off in January. Have to keep putting bearings and control arms on. Could that be from this subframe thing? So scared to take it incase they can’t fix it and want to do a buy back> we to can’t afford a payment reason we r so happy it was paid off. Even here in Canada were do u get a GOOD used van for $3000. They only issue we have had is emerg light and ABS light coming on……

April 26, 2011 at 1:27 pm
(95) Dan says:

Am in eastern Ontario and my 99 Windstar (200Kkm) has also been grounded with rotted subframe. Was told (politely bullied?!) that it could not be fixed and was offered a buy-back of $3700 as compensation. According to the recall letter, not being able to repair it is the exception; I question if they are saying “not repairable” as the rule, rather than be bothered with the exceptional repair! And so I wait, with a leased vehicle in hand courtesy of Ford, until I get a check for my old beast. Doubt I’ll ever buy a Ford again!

April 27, 2011 at 2:33 pm
(96) eddie kujawa says:

i just took my van in an they said the rear axle is being replaced with in two weeks an sub-frame brackets replaced .. if they dont buy back these vans there going to loose a lot more business

May 1, 2011 at 9:11 am
(97) ang2424 says:

My husband thank God had stopped to go fishing after work a month ago and backed his up to park while he was backing up the axle broke on the 1998 Winstar. I would hate to think what would have happened if he decided to come straight home and it would have broken while he was driving it. We are now in a rental vehicle I contacted Ford here in the Knoxville Tennessee area and they were there to get it in minutes. They said they had had none in this area to do that that was the first one they had seen. Ford wants to meet with my husband this morning to talk about a deal but we had some bad weather this week and golf ball size hail I am wondering if it destroyed our winstar and now they dont know what to do. It done some real bad body damage to their rental vehicle. It has about 200 pings from the hail. We have 1000s of broken windsheilds in the area due to the hail damage. I will let you all know what kind of deal they want to make. I think this is terrible I dont want the winstar back because I am now scared to death to be in one after seeing and hearing of the damage it can cause. I dont even want to be near one on the same road I am on because fear of this happening and going out of control.

May 3, 2011 at 11:28 am
(98) Angel says:

I feel like Ford has taken advantage of me. I purchased my 1999 Windstar 2/09 I have paid 7000 on it and i still owe 3400 now Ford took my car and paid off the lean and are now sending me a check for $300. What am i soposded to do now no money for a car. no car. Just Lay down and take it. Im so upset after this country of ours gave them a Billion Dollor bail out this is how they treat there customers. Well I will be the first one to say DONT BUY FROM FORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 7, 2011 at 12:07 pm
(99) Kelly says:

I personally work for a Canadian Ford Dealer and had two windstars….a 99 (which has been recently written of due to a person running a red light) and a 2003 sitting waiting for a safety and emissions test to be done on it.

The 99 back in Dec/10 was worth only $4000 Cdn to Ford if I was willing to lease or purchase a new car. I declined the offer because I could not replace the vehicle with what Ford has as its line up. And my 99 passed all of the recalls with no problem.

The 2003 has yet to be taken in for the recalls but it stands a very good chance of passing all of them also.

The recalls Ford issues are very trying and frustrating understandably….but in all reality it is law for any manufacturer of any item to issue a recall if any issues.
Please understand that each Dealership is the one supplying the customer with the rental car. Each Dealership is a Franchise and is own by a person not Ford. they have rules and regulations that Ford and each Government places on them.

Ford US and Ford Canada are doing the best they can (yeah I know hype) with the demand for axles but the parts are made by a supplier out sourced. So hence the waiting time.

I personally prefer my Ford Windstar and am sadden to see that Ford not longer offers a mini Van with the exception of the 4 cyl Transit from Turkey. I now have to find a replacement for one van – have it a 2005 Ford Freestyle but it is not a van.

May 21, 2011 at 4:13 pm
(100) Shine says:

I was driving my van on the highway when my rear axel broke on me in April 2010. Luckly I did not crash. I had to pay my insurance deductable to get it fixed about $500. I got notice of that recal in the fall of 2010. Ford did reimburse me the full amount on the repair. Howevere I got the recall notice of the front one in Feb of 2011. I took it in March to have it looked at. Nothing was said to me about the buy back at all when I was called and told that my front is broken and the one that was replaced in the spring of 2010 also needs to be fixed. So I have the front and back that I have to wait for. I was given a rental the day I took my van in, a 2010 Honda Civic. I was told they only pay $30 a day for rentals and if we want to up grade we have to pay the differance. I am still in my rental with no call at all from the dealership or Ford. They could at lest do a courtsey call ya know. LOL. I was told by my local Enterprice (who my rental is from) that Fod is paying that location alone over $200K a month just on this recal. It is not fun going from a van to a smaller car. I just made my last paymnt on my van also when I got my recall letter. I do not want to have a car payment at all.
I agree that they (Ford)should give the recall customers newer vehicles at a VERY generous discounts because it would be a lot cheaper then having to pay for the rental and all the other cost for this recall that Ford is paying for. And it would be better for customer and public relations. HINT THE CORPORATE EXECUTIVES OF FORD IF YOU WANT TO LAST ANOTHER 100 YEARS. I can bet that Henry Ford is rolling in his grave right now on how they ( Ford) is handling this. There ar soooo many Windstars in recall that Ford should think about the consumers then the money right now.

Is this one more reason why people go foreign now??? Do they have better customer service???

June 20, 2011 at 4:51 pm
(101) Gina says:

I had a 2001 Windstar SEL sport, 72000 miles, very very excellent condition, they said they wouldn’t fix it because it had a previous weld on it, I didn’t want to sell, the service dept said I couldn’t drive it, it was too dangerous, I felt pressured into the buy back, they both (dealer and Ford) told me the van would be scraped as its too dangerous for anyone to drive. Have photos of all the damage.

Its been 4 months and I’m finding out now that my name is still attached as being the owner. I do think they are going to fix this van and resell it after presuring me to let them buy it that it was not safe.

I called the dealer after finding out (by letter) that I still owned this vehicle, about what has happened to this vehicle. The dealer told me they were going to call me back, its been over 2 weeks, I know they aren’t scraping out this vehicle, what can I do about it??????

August 19, 2011 at 12:57 pm
(102) lynne mcdougall says:

i am a lucky owner of the 2000 windstar who had her van recall done and sent on her way to find out from 3 different mechanics that it shouldnt be on the road. it has both axels done and it feels like it has its own motion when going over bumps the extra weight it has cause on a already strained frame causes me to wonder . i am trying to find a class action lawsuit in canada or ontario canada so i can join them. i doubt the van will make it through this winter everything on this van is rusted… thank you for listening and having this site

August 24, 2011 at 12:09 pm
(103) Frank says:

I have a 2003 sel, received my recall notice august 16, 2011….research shows Ford ended refund/buyback on july 1, 2011. If my van is not repaiaqble, what am I to do? Ford had better make this right. I only purchased this vehicle in March.

September 14, 2011 at 10:23 pm
(104) Eric says:

I have 2001 Windstar and as both the rear axle and the front subframe recalls were being done the dealer’s service manager advised me that the subframe brackets that hold the sway bar to the frame were rusted away. They are exactly at the same place the subframe brackets for the recall are bolted on (incidentally get under your vehicle and take a look at THAT rigged up “fix” to hold your car together!) His advice “Sell it now” Thanks… very ethical.. I can not pass a problem like that on to an unsuspecting buyer. Still have the car… sway bar completely loose and clunking around on the passenger side and vehicle deemed unsafe to drive by New York State DMV safety standards. I have been back to the dealership twice.. they say it’s Ford Motor’s corporate responsibility… been around and around and around with Ford customer service, them claiming they are not responsible and wishing me luck and “sincerely sorry… have a nice day.” What are my options? State attorney General? Local small claims court? Just getting it fixed so I have a safe car for my wife to drive my family around in would be nice…. but it seems that that kind of car isn’t what Ford cares to be responsible for.

September 17, 2011 at 9:31 am
(105) Bob says:

I got $4,000. from Ford for my 2000 Windstar. What I got from Northstar Ford in Duluth, MN was the shaft! In order to get the buyback and another vehicle I would have to buy from Northstar. The first used car I bought from Northstar had the rear wheels lock up on the way home. (The salesman had said the noise from the rear end was because the parking brake was on). Nursed the car back and Northstar wanted $600. to fix it. Since the check from the credit union hadn’t been sent yet they agreed to undo the sale. The second car, a 4 wheel drive, made front end noises which the salesman said was because it was in 4 wheel drive. In reality the front differential and an axle were broken. Northstar would not fix the problem or undo the sale. Factory installed safety equipment was also missing. I paid well over $2,000 to get this car road worthy. I believe Northstar Ford used this recall to pawn off vehicles that they normally would have sent to auction.
A few weeks later I saw the Windstar being driven on a street in Superior Wi. Are Ford dealers reselling these unsafe vans without replacing the rear axles?

May 15, 2012 at 1:15 pm
(106) do-sumthing says:

I just don’t get the lack of ownership or responsibility. These companies are playing with people’s lives, quality of life…etc I think that the only thing that can be done to make sure that these vehicules get off the road BUT at the cost of the company who failed to make them safe, is to make this problem VERY public. Social media seems to be working for many, including these awful companies so why not use it to protect us people that put our trust and money into companies that make products that in sooooo many cases are on the verge of being death traps just in 10 years. RIDICULOUS, OUTRAGEOUS,SHAMEFUL and UNNACEPTABLE. I would love nothing more then to be part of class action suit and bring down the that are killing innocent unsuspecting people, most of which are stuck in lower class because they keep getting raped and pilidged by opportunists such as FORD.

August 15, 2012 at 5:17 pm
(107) Cynthia says:

We have a 1999 coversion van in excellant shape…..except for the chinese steel that was used for the frame. The entire front clip need to be replaced and Ford (on the local level) says tough luck. The vehicle only has 130,000 miles and has been well cared for.

Does anyone have any suggestions, phone #’s, whatever…I would appreciate any help.
Thanks

August 28, 2012 at 10:06 am
(108) sharron bricker says:

my 2001 windstar went threw recalls on subrame and rear axil. work completed in may 2011. took van to my machic for a shke in front end found that my subframe is rusted out. car not safe to drive, ford will not help me can’t afford another car

November 9, 2012 at 8:57 pm
(109) joathan coffey says:

I cant keep mine out of the ford garage…the thing has came close to killing us…the ford garage knows me my mine and my wifes first name…iam going to put it on my lawn and put a huge sigh on it saying dont buy ford…

April 28, 2013 at 10:21 am
(110) angela says:

i bought my 2003 ford windstar over a year ago i pd cash from a dealer the only thing i requested was they made sure the air worked well it did for 2 days so when i took it bk they wanted to charge me 1100 to fix it i didnt have that kinda money so i tookk it to a little shop they fixed for 200.00 then 2 months later the ignition system went out had to replace the whole stering colum this van has been nothing but a money pit for me and i have 6 kids so money is real tight but ford or the dealer doesnt care about us now the frount passenger side tires keep going low i read the article about the axle and sure enough the axle is cracked hell we couldve been killed

March 3, 2014 at 6:41 pm
(111) van for hire says:

Pretty! This was a really wonderful article. Thanks for supplying this info.

my web page; <a href=”http://www.sulit.Com.ph/index.php/view+classifieds/id/37567088/Van+For+Rent+%28New+Nissan+Urvan+2013+%2818+seaters%29+For+Hire%29?referralKeywords=nissan+urvan+for+rent&event=Search+Ranking,Position,1-16,16″>van for hire</a>

March 22, 2014 at 10:50 pm
(112) W 2634 says:

When it comes to selecting a VoIP phone or several, depending on
the windows phone system.xml.xmldocument features selected.

April 4, 2014 at 4:50 pm
(113) best humidifiers 2014 says:

Having read this I thought it was really enlightening.

I appreciate you taking the time and effort to put this informative article together.
I once again find myself spending way too much time both reading and commenting.
But so what, it was still worth it!

April 11, 2014 at 8:40 am
(114) tricia says:

How do you get them to offer anything. I have 2002 wind star and I received a recall letter about 2 years ago and they had takin it in and apparently fixed it I had rental for one day. I keep seeing things about buying out the windstars I’ve had nothing but problems with this piece of crap even after they “fixed” it. Its costing me too much in repairs. The abs light and check engine lights always on and that explanation mark. Now because of corrosion my exhaust came detached from the front part of the van. I have had enough and want to get out of this death trap. Ils like for them to buy it out.